Friday, February 20, 2009

Wherein I try to be coherent

Hello!

I do not have anything particularly profound to write about at the minute. Rather this entry is just so I don't get out of the habit of writing in this thing, and to give me something to do whilst I drink my pre-bedtime chocolate milk (I realized recently that there was absolutely nothing stopping me from buying whole milk instead of skim, so I decided to take a walk on the wild side and make the switch. Like Ian said, you know your life is in trouble if the craziest choices you make involve purchasing milk).

I have been feeling nostalgic again, going through old videos on facebook, but I have already talked about that so I will skip the details. Suffice to say, I miss folks alot! Also adding to the nostalgia factor is that I bought a D&D book at this amazing amazing game store in midtown called The Compleat Strategist. Oh my god I could have spent so much more money in that place than I did, it is so dangerous. The book is called Iron Heroes, and it has a whole varient combat system, and is a low magic setting, so no Vancian spellcasting. Now I am commited to finding a group of willing (or not so willing) participants for a campaign! I will start by combing my acting class for likely recruits.

So I have been getting the usual career anxiety, but thankfully it is in a much diminished form than how it usually is. I was thinking about it, and it seems that more and more pressure is being put on folks my age to pick something and stick with it quicker and quicker. It seems a little ridiculous that at age eighteen I am supposed to make life choices about a life that I have not really experienced yet. Perhaps I am wrong about this being shoved on us sooner than previously, cause a few decades ago I don't think I would have been concerned about having a choice (I sometimes wonder if it would be easier if I lived in an age where if Father was a blacksmith, I would be a blacksmith. Prolly not, as I am not good with dirt and lice).

I am fairly certain I am going to be making a switch in majors next year, to something like a double in Philosophy/English, or Philosophy with a minor in Creative Writing, etc. Basically, I think I would like to be a writer, but I get crazy angsty about that too, and I worry about my inability to just sit down and write. The Parents insist I should not worry about this, and do what I like and see where it takes me, which is good advice. Still I have a hard time not obsessing. Oh well, all else fails I become a monk and help people out with stuff. Or become a tiger.

Sleepily,
Daniel Emerson

3 comments:

Gillian said...

i have never had the pleasure of tasting whole milk (or skim, for that matter), though i do have the uncanny ability to taste the difference between 1 and 2 percent.

Anonymous said...

be a tiger who drinks whole milk. do it.

Claire said...

hahhah i forgot to talk to you about this yesterday. but at my surprise party.. remember, the one you didn't grace us with your presence for? (kidding, kidding) anywho, henry and i were talking a and he mentioned you might switch majors. to philosophy. hope you know that a certain James Heinegg also majored in philosophy. i came home and was like daddddddy, you and dan khost and yet again THE SAME PERSON.
hahah
with love,
marie
(if you go by your middle name on here.. should we all?)