Thursday, September 4, 2008

VII: Wherein I talk of chocolate milk and acting class.

Hello!

One of my favorite things in life is drinking chocolate milk with a spoon. It takes a bit longer, but I am 100% sure that it makes it taste at least 40% better. Be careful of spilling, especially over expensive laptops, and it will make you feel like a better person. Try it. Try it.

But onwards. This was my second day of Script Analysis and Art History, and yesterday I had my first acting class! I was so nervous that it would be full of stupid theater people who bug me, BUT so far as I can tell there is not one in the bunch! What good luck (especially with no Naked Man. Oh god I was so frightened). To give an illustration, the first exercise we did was to get to know each other. We were not allowed to speak anything except our names, and we had to know each other by the feel of our hands. In other words, we spent about 20 minutes in silence, just feeling each others hands very carefully. It sounds like it would be tremendously awkward, but everyone took it completely in stride. Then we had to go to the front of the class and put our hands behind our backs. People would come up and take our hands, and we would have to know who it was. It was magical and oddly intimate. The teacher seems like a cool lady, but very serious about theater, which kind of frightens me. But thus far, I am managing to keep up with my work and schedule. This isn't too impressive considering it has only been a week, but I think it is pretty good for me, and I am good about writing down my commitments. Quite soon, for acting class we will have to schedule independent rehearsals with our scene groups, which kinda worries me. But I am sure I'll get used to it.

For art history we visited the Met today. God, I am just not used to being early! I had time to kill and more, whilst I worried whether I was in the right place. I met someone cool who was also early, a junior, though this is his first semester as well. He transferred from a school in Texas, though his permanent home is in Rome, which is crazy. We looked at renaissance art, and observed the methods and styles. Looks to be a fun course!

I am really sleepy. So sleepy, in fact, that I actually am going to skip watching more Samurai Champloo (I've already watched waaaaaay to much in a 24 hour window anyway).
Night!

-Emerson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you can say chocolate milk does taste about 40 % better with a spoon than without. I guess its a common trend because me and my sister would always use a spoon to consume it.

Not saying that you're conforming or anything =)



awww I'm so cruel.


Well I'll end with a compliment. You're writing makes me want to never pick up a pen to write an essay ever again because it will be a disgrace to the craft of these journal entries.


Become a writer goddamnit. After your famous for other reasons of course haha. A common theater kid.

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness.

i mean to say "kid" as in "tease", but i dont think there is another figure of speech for "to kid" other than a verb. Oops. See what I mean with this awful writing propensity I have?