Tuesday, September 2, 2008

VI: Wherein I describe the first day of school! Hooray!

Hello!

Jesus, I sound like a 3rd grader with all my cutesy biographical entries. I was gonna try and explore all exciting and thought-provoking topics and such crazy stuff, but whenever I get home I am way too tired to be creative. I think it is this place. It is strange, my attitude towards the city appears to be cyclical: when I was little I hated it, when I was in high school/middle school I could not picture living anywhere else, and now I am kind "eh" about it. The city seems to drain off my energy and soul to fuel its sinister projects. It kind of impacts my mood too, as I can think of no good reason why I should feel so morose. Our dogs just returned this morning after their 2 day vacation throughout the town.

In other news: it is officially confirmed that books are a) really heavy, and b) really expensive. Two hundred and eighty five dollars!? On the bright side, classes thus far look to be REALLY REALLY amazing! It is such a foreign concept that I can study things I actually enjoy and we have moved away from the whole "complete pp 67-68 and do 1-59 ODD," to the system of free rein as long as it is done on time for lecture. For instance, this is how my Script Analysis is set up. We independently read a new play for EACH class, and have a round table discussion during class about a whole host of different themes. Works include: A Doll's House, The Seagull, Waiting for Godot, Oedipus Rex, The Bald Soprano, The Homecoming, Machinal, and some others. Our final "exam" is to basically direct a scene from a play, giving the actors whatever knowledge is necessary to convincingly portray a character. Exciting books, enjoyable subject, and an awesome teacher? Yes please! My art history course looks to be a lot of fun too. We visit the Met next class on Thursday to have an introduction to different terminology used in art, and just to check things in general out. Curses, Ian has distracted me with his e-mails full of humorous internet doings, so I have totally lost my train of thought. So...for now I'll leave it at that! College has super awesome classes thus far and they shall hopefully continue. And hopefully I'll make some friends so I don't have to spend ANOTHER night on ED...

-Emerson

1 comment:

Muffy Crosswire said...

Daaaang! Hi there, darling. I hope your first day of classes was as great as mine was. I'm really glad you're interested in your coursework and all. Give me a call sometime!