Friday, August 29, 2008

V: Wherein the final day of orientation is discussed.

Hello!

The damn Obama speech caused me to again abandon my idea of an earlier bedtime, as I really wanted to stay up and watch it. I thought it was pretty great, and I think it should do a lot for him. There is one thing that kinda bums me out, even though I pretty much knew it was an inevitability. Gone is the talk earlier in his campaign about putting aside all this head-butting, partisan junk. Although I think he did try to appeal to both parties, it kinda bums me out that he had to get down and dirty like all the rest of them, because his distatste for that is what really drew me to him in the first place. Of course I still like him best, but it still is somewhat depressing.

Also! Hello to Claire and Evelyn! I am glad some non-family folks are reading this, and the stalking is quite flattering. I miss you and all the others very much. Steer them this way if they enjoy reading about my problems.

Anways, today was my favorite of the orientation days, starting off on a good note when the folder that I lost with all my important information was returned to me. Other exemplery points of the day occured when the school's head conselor tricked us all into dancing around to various different kind of musics. He made up a very convincing and elaborate study about how certain different genres could sync with your body's rythmn and make for better studying. It was very funny, as he made us all get up and sway to the music, and told us what it meant about our future at college. Another cool thing was this speaker who actually came from Montclair state's office for non-violence and tolerence. He had a whole program about the power of words, and we discussed the origins and implications of them, and what we can do to change them. It was pretty intense and he didn't pull any punches, and everyone wound up getting into it.

On the way home, a man honked his horn for a whole 15 seconds without pause. That may not sound like much, but try counting to 15, while imagining a blaring, yet somehow soothing horn blasting down on some poor sap in a van. I actually heard harmonics after a while. It was pretty fun. It also was yet another reminder to me about just how angry some people are, and how much they must suffer on account of being so high strung.

In other news, I dunno what I'm going to do with my weekend, as I still don't know people too well, and I can't just go out with my room mate, as that is Peter. Maybe I'll try to find some of my other friends in the city or go to that Rumi poetry reading. Whatever. This is getting long, so I'm off to WoW! (no Claire, haven't met any yet, sadly.)

-Emerson

PS- I know you've all heard about those wild college parties, but what the really crazy-go-nuts party guys do on Friday nights is watch Mythbusters while eating Nutella on bread with Coca Cola.

1 comment:

Adriana said...

hey guy- i move in tomorrow. so you can expect a call from the west side sometime this week so we can set up a rendez-vous.
see you soon
adriana